Sao Paulo World Cup stadium hit by third death

A construction worker at Sao Paulo’s troubled World Cup stadium was killed after falling from a stand on Saturday, bringing the number of deaths at the venue to three.

The workman fell eight metres (26 feet) as he helped install temporary seating at the ground and was taken to hospital where his condition had been described as serious.

His employers said in a statement that he was observing all the necessary safety standards at the ground which will host the opening game of the World Cup between hosts Brazil and Croatia on June 12.

In November, two men died when a crane collapsed at the same arena. The Sao Paulo Stadium was one of six venues to miss an initial FIFA delivery deadline on December 31 and is only set to be handed over to organiser in mid-May.

A total of seven workers have now been killed during work on Brazil’s World Cup venues. Saturday’s tragedy came just two days after FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke had admitted progress on the Sao Paulo Stadium remained a concern with the problems compounded by arguments over who foots the bill for temporary facilities.

“We will have 12 host cities; we will have 12 stadiums; but there is work to do. Time is flying.” said Valcke.

On the news of the death of worker at the Sao Paulo Arena, he tweeted:

“Deeply saddened by the tragic loss of a worker at Arena Sao Paulo today. My thoughts and condolences are with his family and colleagues.”

AFP

Edward May

css.php Future Brand Media